Thursday, March 31, 2011

Clever lights ready for Winter


Well I am really happy. I just bought some great LED downlights globes from the ebay shop in the link you get if you click this blog title. The guy there was really helpful and these are cheap and bright. Nominally 4w 12v they seem about as bright as a 20w halogen.
It suddenly occurred to me to make a great bicyle headlight. Rather than go battery I dug out my old Sanyo Dynapower generator. These were all the go back in the 70's and early 80's when lights were dim and roads were quieter. I'll post some pictures asap.
Anyway I mounted the generator over the rear wheeloff the brakes (the preferred non standard position) and fitted the globe --with a little silicon to a sweet little old headlight (Union I think) that fits over the front brakes.
Now some will say the Sanyo was 6volt! But a little known fact was that the dynapower was current limited by its winding to about .5amp which gave it a power generation capacity of 3 watts. However if you unload it the voltage just goes up with speed which is why people used to blow bulbs if they didn't also run a tailight to overload the generator and keep the voltage down. So fitting the LED 12v lamp means it runs up to 12v .4amp without any trouble. The LED globe lights early at slow speeds and won't blow. It is GREAT!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home