Tuesday, October 16, 2007

One thing is wonderful

One thing is wonderful. Redemption. When you can look at someone or something and see their potential not their current state of being.
Two things are wonderful to me.
Redemption and wheels. Wheels are magical aren’t they. I especially love the way you can start with flimsy bits and end up with a strong true bicycle wheel. One on my mind was first built in 1974 in France. I redeemed it from the dump. Stripped cleaned and rebuilt so I can ride on it again.
SO Three things are wonderful to me.
Redemption, wheels and cycling. I first started cycling seriously when I was teenager.
I knew nothing and no one
But I’d seen a picture of Bernard Thevenet in Mike McCauliffe’s shop and I knew there was a race called the Tour de France which he had won on a Peugeot.
I pedalled over the local hills pretending I was him. At 45 I now know how to win and how to train but I have a curse. It’s the curse of the bicycle restorer. I just can’t help picking up that old stuff at the dump and making it new again. If I’d spent the time training I’m sure I’d be a champion even now.
…..Except maybe for the talent and the commitment required….
But really the best thing about cycling is the people you meet and the ones you don’t meet. I can ride for hours and be by myself.
Or I can meet up with others in a social bunch and thrash about until we get to the coffee shop.
Life is good

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home